Lockdown Learning – Princess Seam Blouse

The lockdown continues in the UK so I’m using the extra free time (after I’ve finished work, of course) to tackle some longstanding projects. This self-drafted blouse was started several months ago & was originally going to be for work. Since I began the process, work now provides me with a uniform so it’s no longer required! But as with many of my sewing projects, I decided to continue but to treat it as a learning experience.

undefined

I had problems with the original collar I had planned so I had to improvise with the collar you see above. It’s not perfect but it will do! The blouse pattern was drafted from my basic Sure-Fit Designs bodice block following the princess seam lessons created by Glenda. I’ve never sewn princess seams before and was surprised to find that I got a better finish on my overlocker than my regular sewing machine.

undefined

The fabric came from the bargain bin at Abakhan but the quality is good and it’s perfect for its intended purpose. The buttons (from Textile Garden) probably cost more than the fabric! That’s not to say the buttons were expensive, just that the fabric was very cheap. I would definitely purchase from Textile Garden again as the choice, price & delivery were all good. (And no, I haven’t been paid to say that).

undefined

undefined

The sleeve detail (shown above before I sewed the button on) was inspired by something I saw on the internet and has worked out okay, although I’d probably make the sleeves slightly longer next time, as they’re a bit tight when I bend my elbows. I’d also make the blouse a little more fitted by increasing the shaping on both front & back princess seams.

But overall I’d rate this a success as I’ve already worn it and will definitely wear it again.